There is a rather bewildering array of guides to life in Oxford and the world beyond. We like to think we're one of the best, but in case you do need more help, here's a list of some of the best of the rest:
City & County Living Guides
- Oxfordshire County Council
- Oxford City Council
- Visit Oxford: Tourist Information Centre, 15-16 Broad Street, OX1 3AS. (01865) 252200
- Oxford City Guide: fun tourist guide with good local news feeds.
- A Parent's Guide: very comprehensive guide for parents of young children. Old (1995) but much still relevant.
- A Scholar's Guide: potted histories of Oxford Colleges.
- OxNosh: all things foodie, from local reviews to cooking demos.
- Queer Oxford: GLBT-orientated info.
Oxford City Guided Tours
- Virtual Tour of Oxford (Oxford University Chemistry Lab's alternative, with exciting graphics).
- Guided Walking and Bus Tours
- OxonCarts - Bicycle rickshaws to show you Oxford in style. For hire, 7 days a week.
Oxfordshire Neighbourhood & Village Websites
Non-commercial, community-run information portals.
Oxford Neighbourhood Sites (most central first):
- Divinity Road Area Residents' Association - one of east Oxford's most beautiful streets & its neighbours.
- South Hinksey - busy community site for pretty hamlet 'hidden' between Abingdon Road & the A34.
- Headington - substantial, interesting history section (including lots of generally Oxford-related info), info and news.
- Wood Farm - community site for this estate on the eastern edge of Oxford.
- Wolvercote - Midsummer Festival, barn dances, Apple Day, ArtWeeks, low carbon group info & more.
Oxfordshire Village Sites:
- Charlbury - comprehensive 'community site and visitor guide' for this Cotswold town 20 mins from Oxford & 70 mins from Paddington.
- Eynsham - 'for people who think that Eynsham is the centre of the world (it is)' :)
- The Haseleys - Great Haseley, Little Haseley, Milton Common and surrounding.
- Horspath - Parish Council site providing useful info on this pretty village just east of Oxford.
- Tackley Village - everything you could want to know about life in this pretty north Oxon village (site maintained by Tackley Parish Council volunteers) .
- Witney - business, leisure and property info in this thriving market town 12 miles west of Oxford.
- Woodstock - lots of photo documentation of the little town that is home to Blenheim Palace.
Are we missing your village or neighbourhood site? Please email email@example.com and let us know!
Business Directories: Local & National
- Yell.com (Yellow Pages online).