Useful Oxford Sport Websites
- Times of regular sporting meetings can be found on our many Classes and Clubs pages. A multitude of other events are also listed on our site; find all categories via What's On.
- Search Oxford County Council's database of over 2,000 local clubs and societies here.
- Click here for Oxford University Sports Federation: a 'representative body for Oxford University sportsmen and women' (University members only)
- Oxfordshire Sports Partnership: 'your window to Oxfordshire Sport'. All sorts of helpful and motivating info.
- Want to find out about skateboarding in Oxford? Click here.
Oxford Pools & Sports Centres
Oxford's public, council-run leisure facilities are unified under the Slice card discount scheme (marked S below). The different types of card are tailored to the kinds of activities you do most often - eg. frequent swimmers should try an 'Aqua' Slice. For a guide to current prices for all the public facilities, and the applicable Slice discount rates, have a look at www.oxford.gov.uk/leisure or follow the links below. Under 17s will be glad to know that a free Kids' Slice Card entitles them to free swimming at all council-run pools. And a Student Slice Card is available (price £8.60 as of Sept 2010) which gives big savings on pay as you go prices.
NB: The Daily Info Pool Assessor formerly saw fit to make the point that council pools can be "cold, uncomfortable and beset with timetabling issues which, if you're not careful, lead to your turning up in the middle of 'toddler & inflatable rhino' hour, or suchlike, and thus being unable to use the pool at all". He did, however, concede that they had the virtue of charging only per swim, rather than requiring you to purchase membership, as is the custom with some of his alternative suggestions, included below.
Right to Reply, Sep 2010: 'Pools now nice, warm and comfy and timetables can be found on the website to ensure you miss the inflatable rhinos' - Stephen, Fusion Lifestyle (managers of Oxford's public leisure facilites)
We have listed here all the public and larger private centres we know of (some smaller private gyms are excluded).
- Barcelo Hotel Gym, Godstow Road, Wolvercote OX2 8AL. Map: B2. Tel: 01865 489901
- Gym, pool, squash courts and sauna. Open to hotel guests and members only, but membership is very reasonable. The pool is more a splash pool than a swimming pool owing to its size and kidney-shape, but excellent for small people, and a nice temperature. Open Mon-Thu 06:30-22:00, Fri 06:30-20:00, Sat & Sun 07:00-20:00. Some classes (zumba, yoga) may be open to the public. Beauty treatments now also available.
- Barton Pool, Waynflete Road, Barton, OX3 8GA. Map: H4. Tel: 01865 467290
'Environmentally friendly, state-of-the-art 25m, 4 lane swimming pool and multi-activity room' open Mon-Fri 06:15-22:00, Sat 08:00-20:30 and Sun 08:00-20:30. Health fitness classes, party hire deals and personal training too. S
Update (Sept 2010) from Fusion Lifestyle who manage the city's Leisure Centres: new gym being added, open early November 2010, and the building will be renamed Barton Leisure Centre
- Blackbird Leys Leisure Centre, Pegasus Road, Blackbird Leys. Map: H9. Tel: 01865 467020
Open Mon-Fri 06:30-22:00, Sat 09:00-20:00, Sun 09:00-21:00. Badminton, snooker, fitness gym, basketball, football, hireable function rooms, refreshments and catering facilities, creche, health and fitness classes. S
Update (Sept 2010) from Fusion Lifestyle who manage the city's Leisure Centres: New refurbishment programme underway, refurbished changing rooms, reception and new spin studio, should all be open early Oct 2010.
- Blackbird Leys Pool, Blackbird Leys Road, Blackbird Leys. Map: H9. Tel: 01865 467040
- Small 18 x 8m pool, open between roughly 9am and 9pm daily, though check their website for general public swimming slots. Scheduled sessions include ladies only, Aquafit, over 50s, etc. Available for private party hire. Approx. pool temperature: 86-88°F. S
- David Lloyd, Oxford Business Park North, Garsington Rd., Cowley. Map: H7. Tel: 01865 748828
- Members club with air-conditioned gym with two studios and all the usual equipment; health and beauty centre and hair salon; indoor pool (25m x 12m) with children's splash pool; three outdoor and three indoor racquets courts; spa with sauna, steam room, hot tub. Also: creche and playden; café bar serving breakfast, lunch and evening meals. Various membership deals. Enquire via their website for prices.
- East Oxford Games Hall, 5 Collins St. Map: F6. Tel: 01865 467050
- Facilities for badminton, basketball, gymnastics, martial arts etc. Floodlit pitches also available. Commonly hired by teams. Situated behind Tesco on the Cowley Road.
- Esporta, St Edward's School, Woodstock Road. Map: C3. Tel: 01865 318300
- Upmarket centre in a leafy location incorporating: 9,000 sq ft fitness arena, toning suite, 2 air-con. aerobic studios, 32 outdoor and 4 indoor tennis courts, 25m indoor pool with separate baby pool, squash courts, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, health and beauty salon, children's activity club, creche, restaurant, free parking and more. Times for specific sessions can all be found online under 'Timetables' on the website. Various organised social events for members. Various membership rates.
- Ferry Sports Centre, Diamond Place (off Banbury Rd), Summertown. Map: D3. Tel: 01865 316091
After its recent £3.4 million refurbishment, the Ferry Centre now has a 25m 6-lane pool, learner pool, dance studio, 3 squash courts, sports hall, viewing facilities, therapy room and 50+ station gym. All sorts of classes are on offer too. S
Update (Sept 2010) from Fusion Lifestyle who manage the city's Leisure Centres: Gym being extended and changing rooms being refurbished, ready early November, and building will be renamed Ferry Leisure Centre.
- Hinksey Pool (open air), Lake St. (off Abingdon Rd). Map: D7. Tel: 01865 467079
- Fun, heated outdoor pool set in attractive park. Usually open from the start of May until the end of Sept each year. S
- L A Fitness, Littlegate House, 16/17 St Ebbe's St. Map: D6. Tel: 01865 0870 224 5506
- Mon-Thur: 06:30-22:00, Fri: 06:30-20:00, Sat & Sun: 09:00-19:00 (last entry 45 mins before closing). Pool, saunas and steam room, studio where various classes are held; large gym with usual variety of equipment (for pictures, go to the general website linked to above, select 'Oxford' from the clubs list and take the virtual tour). Flexible membership packages.
- Northway Sports Centre, Maltfield Rd, Headington OX3 9RG. Map: G4. Tel: 07786 266146
- Small, comunity-based centre with facilities for badminton, basketball, table-tennis, outdoor basketball. Open Mon-Fri 10:00-19:00, Sat & Sun 10.00-18.00. Over 50s activities 10:00-12:00 each morning. All facilities available for hire, also open to individual members of the public. Please call Clive in advance on the number above to book.
- Oxford Ice Rink, Oxpens Road. Map: C6. Tel: 01865 467000
General skating sessions, ice hockey, dance training, ice disco, private party hire. For current times, prices and any updates on the future of Oxford's endangered ice rink, see website. S
For Daily Info's review of the Oxford Ice Rink, click here.
- Oxford Brookes University Centre for Sport, Cheney Lane, Headington. Tel: 01865 484373 or 484374
- Sauna, steam room, Dojo/aerobics/dance studio, 65-station health and fitness suite, weights room, sports hall (5 badminton courts or football, basketball, volleyball), 3 squash courts, 14m climbing wall, floodlit astroturf pitch, sports bar, café, shop. Various regular classes, from cheerleading to kickboxing! Pay as You Go and Pre Pay options available. Open Mon-Fri 06:30-23:00, Sat and Sun 09:00-22:00 (last entry always 1 hour before closing).
- Oxford University Sports Complex, Iffley Road. Map: E6. Tel: 01865 240476
- Members only (current students and staff of both Universities, residents living within 1 mile of the complex). Rates vary; see user-unfriendly website for details. Roger Bannister running track, outdoor racket sport courts, astroturf pitch, Dojo, 25 x 20m Rosenblatt pool, squash courts, café. Open Mon-Fri 07:00-22:30, Sat & Sun 09:00-19:30. Open May and August bank holidays; closed over Christmas and for 4 days over Easter. NB. facilities may be heavily booked in university termtime.
- Peers Sports Centre, Sandy Lane West, Littlemore. Map: G8. Tel: 01865 467095
- Sadly, this facility may well close on the commencement of Peers School's redevelopment into the Oxford Academy. It remains open for swimming, squash, badminton and tennis from 09:00-22:30 Mon-Fri, 09:30-18:30 Sat and 09:00 - 20:00 Sun up until the end of Feb 2009.
- Temple Cowley Pools & Fitness Centre, Temple Road, Cowley. Map: G7. Tel: 01865 467110 (recorded times); 467124 (enquiries)
- Main pool 25m x 18m (26.7-27.8°C), learner pool 11m x 11m (30-31.7°C); 20+ station gym; sauna and steam rooms; various activities, including swimming sessions and lessons, fitness classes, teen training, etc.
- Westminster Sports Centre, Oxford Brookes University, Harcourt Hill Campus, OX2 9AT. Map: B7. Tel: 01865 488379; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 25m Pool (30°C all year round), 55+ Station Gym, Fitness Classes, 2 Squash Courts, 3 Tennis Courts, Golf Course. Swim sessions are Lanes, Open, Over 55's Only, Ladies Only and Family Fun sessions. Childrens Birthday parties also available. Prices are either pay per entry from £2 (Child Swim) up to £7.50 (Court Hire) or membership rates from £12 per month. Opening Hours Mon-Thu 07:30-22:00, Fri 07:30-21:00, Sat 08:00-19:00, Sun 09:00-18:00. Slice cards not accepted.
- Willows Leisure Club at Oxford Spires Four Pillars Hotel, Abingdon Rd. Map: D7. Tel: 01865 324324
- Annual memberships: Full £620, Midweek £495, Daytime £365, Children £180. Members are entitled to full use of pool and gym facilities. Open 07:00-21:00 daily. Pool temperature 32°C. Review here. Also Jerome's at Oxford Thames Four Pillars in Sandford-on-Thames, just south of Oxford.
Oxford Sports Clubs
Find regular meeting times for local clubs in the Clubs & Classes section of our What's On guide. Below are some notable local clubs:
- Oxford Saints American Football Club
- Founded in 1983, this is one of the UK's oldest American football clubs. They're on Facebook ('Oxford Saints AFC') and Twitter (@oxfordsaints) too. Practices take place at Abingdon Rugby Club, Lambrick Way, Abingdon, OX14 5TJ. See their website for details.
- Oxford Sailing Club
- ...offers all year windsurfing, dinghy and cat. sailing on the 380 acre Farmoor Reservoir, within easy reach of Oxford and the surrounding areas. Full membership costs from around the £50+ mark for a youth, and around £80+ for a student, £200+ for an adult for a year. For full details check their comprehensive website or call 01865 863201 (usually answerphone).
- Isis Canoe Club
- Small, growing club welcoming both beginners & experienced paddlers.
- Falcon Rowing, Canoeing & Kayaking Club
- Near Donnington Bridge. See website for all info.
- Oxford City Stars Ice Hockey Club
- Lively website with everything about Oxford skating (match dates and results, gallery, forum, how to get involved, etc.). New players always welcome.
- Oxford & Bletchingdon Nondescripts Cricket Club
- See website for all info.
- Hanney Cricket Club
- 'a friendly club which firmly believes that it is not the winning or losing but the drinking in the pub afterwards that is really important'. Village village club with 2 teams playing in the OCA league. Always on the lookout for umpires and players of any standard.
- Kidlington Cricket
- See website for all info.
- Oxford Angels
- ... is a mixed softball club. New players of all abilities welcomed.
- Oxford Tri, Oxsrad, Court Place Farm Marsh Lane, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX3 0NQ.
The Triathlon Club of the City of Oxford. Founded in 1988, Oxford Tri offers numerous coached training sessions and use of facilities to its members. Full membership costs £65/year and includes 10 training sessions per week and plenty of opportunities to meet like-minded people and make the whole experience more enjoyable. Open to all levels. For more details see website or email the club.
Oxford Community Activities
- Adult Learning
- East & South: 01865 712094 North & West: 01865 862009
- Berks, Bucks & Oxon Wildlife Trust
- 01865 775476. Vacancies in many aspects of volunteer conservation.
- Countryside Service
- 01865 252900. The bit of the City Council which promotes enjoyment of Oxford's natural environment and looks after the city's big open spaces (Shotover Park, Port Meadow, etc.).
- Oxfordshire Community & Voluntary Action
- 01865 251946. 'The main umbrella body for the Oxfordshire voluntary and community sector. We provide advice, information and training, act as advocates and representatives, and build partnerships
- Oxford Conservation Volunteers
- A local group carrying out nature conservation work in the Oxford area every Sunday.
- Daily Info's own page of willing helpers, volunteer opportunities and useful links. If you have an unpaid post or time to spare you can fill it here.