The University Church of St Mary the Virgin, High Street is built on the Saxon church of which no trace remains. The present building is largely 14th and 15th century, extensively restored in the Victorian era. Of particular note are the Baroque Porch, designed by Nicholas Stone, on the South side, and the ornate Tower, from which a fine view of the city may be obtained.
The Church has a long association with the University, whose ceremonies were held there until the Sheldonian Theatre was constructed. The University Sermon is still preaches here during Term; University members attending are required to wear their gowns. The Oxford martyrs, Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley, were tried here in 1555 and Archbishop Cranmer returned the next year to recant his Protestant opinions. Cardinal Newman was Vicar, 1828-43.